The SmartTV make the difference with respect to the televisions of a lifetime, mainly due to the ability to modify certain behaviors and add tasks thanks to the installation of different applications.
But what is also true is that there are apps that can mark this differentiation much more than others and that will make a greater contribution so that the television does something different and has more options than before.
That’s what happens with Kodian application that offers so much to the user, that it changes a lot the path that he is going to travel inside his Smart TV when it comes to enjoy streaming and everything that has to do with media content.
The problem is that there are many people who have heard of this software, but do not know exactly what it is, others who do know it, but do not know how to install it, and others who do not have any problem in this regard, but who are not able to so it works.
Today we are going to know how we can install Kodi on a Smart TV and make it work properly knowing that we have the opportunity to add Add-ons and other elements.
Index of contents:
What is Kodi?
Kodi is a media center which was previously known as XBMC and which is designed to work on several different platforms such as Smart TVs, smartphones, computers or tablets.
Initially it was created for the first generation of the Xbox video console, although it didn’t take long for it to be transferred to other operating systems such as Linux, MacOS or Windowscoming later to iOS, Android and even tvOS (Apple TV).
What makes Kodi so special, apart from the possibility of Add-ons or Skins, which we will talk about in more depth, is the wide range of media formats that supports.
But it doesn’t stop there, since we are talking about a software that has features such as playlists, audio displays, slideshows, weather information and extension of functions through plug-ins.
Install Kodi on a Smart TV
The fact of having Kodi on our Smart TV it will depend a lot on what is the operating system that we have on televisionsince natively this software is only valid for Android TV.
This does not mean that if you have a Samsung with Tizen or LG with Web OSyou will not be able to enjoy Kodi, but you will not be able to enjoy it natively and you will have to use some third-party product.
As we have mentioned, installing Kodi on a Smart TV with Android TV is very simple, since it has direct support and that makes the process just as easy as the one we carry out with any other application.
Just follow a few simple steps:
- Within our television with Android TV we must open the application store Google Play Store.
- After that we must go to the search engine and write kodi to find it among all the apps you have.
- By the time I come out on the screen is when we should click on Install and wait for the process to finish. The developer is XBMC Foundationsomething you should pay attention to so you don’t download a different app.
Now you have the software installed on the TVso you will be able to start enjoying Kodi.
To learn how to get the most out of it, you should continue reading, since we are going to explain the best ways to take advantage of it.
For all those televisions that do not have Android TV there is no official support as we have already told you.
If we install any of these devices on our Smart TVwe will be able to work with them just as we would if the television had Android TV natively.
Change the appearance of Kodi
If you want, before you start using Kodi you can change the appearance if you are not attracted to the original design.
For all those who do not want Kodi to look like this, the Skins which are nothing more than plug-ins that are able to change the aesthetics of the programnot only in the color, but in the menus, the way they are distributed and even in their operation on some occasions.
If you want to modify the appearance of your Kodi, you must do the following:
- Let’s go to the panel Settings (cogwheel icon).
- Click on Interface and inside we go to the option Skin.
- At first, only two Estochy and Estuary come, although if we click on Get more we will have several different options to choose from.
So that you have a reference of some of the best Skins for Kodi that are currently available, we are going to leave you a list so that you can find and install them.
In this way you can now go to a fixed shot and install those appearances that are most used right now.
The Add-ons they are extensions that allow Kodi perform different tasks and that they offer us possibilities that would not be possible otherwise.
are extensions, are in repositoriesof which Kodi has several by default of different themes, although we can add more if we see it necessary.
Based on the repositories that Kodi has, we will always be able to install add-ons to run a series of tasks for which they are prepared.
If for example we want to install the add-on to see the channels of our subscription of pluto tv We should carry out the following steps, the same for all the add-ons that we install:
- We enter Kodi and go to the section of Add-ons.
- Inside, click on Search and we write pluto tv.
- Two options will jump out at us and we are going to choose the one that says PVT Client-Pluto TV PVR Clientalthough each one could choose the one that suits them best.
- Once we know which one to install, all that remains is to click on Install and we will have the add-on ready to work.
- Obviously, having this add-on does not guarantee that we will have the Pluto TV service automatically, since we will have to configure it with our credentials.
You can also install add-ons that are personalized or that we have found on the Internet and that are not among those that the program already comes with.
We must always make sure that everyone we install on Kodi is totally trustworthysince if this is not the case we could have a security problem.
The first thing we have to do is activate the so-called Unknown originswhich will cause us to install add-ons that are not the ones that Kodi has in its database.
To do this we must do the following:
- We click on the Settings (cogwheel)
- Let’s go to the option system settings
- In the sidebar click on Add-ons
- And the last thing is to activate the box Unknown origins.
Once we have carried out this step, we will be able to install a repository that we find on the network and that allows us to do something that is not standard in the program.
This is done as follows:
- We click again on the Settings of Kodi (cogwheel).
- We are going to File manager.
- Then we must click on add source.
- Then we write the URL of what we want to add and accept.
Add-ons from Zip
It may also be that we get new add-ons from the network, but they come in zip-formatso the way to install them must be different.
The way of installation is very simplebecause the only thing we need to be clear about is where is the Zip file that contains what we want to be installed, either in the internal storage of the device or in an external system such as a pen drive.
- In the menu on the right, click on Add-ons
- Then we must click where it says Install Add-on from a zip file
- Now all that remains is to use the explorer to locate the file and once found, click on it and wait for it to be installed.
Kodi to watch IPTV
One of the reasons why more users use Kodi is because of the possibility to use it as a viewer. IPTV for lists with movies, series or television.
assuming that you already have a IPTV list in m3u format to use, the process to install it on Kodi is really simple. You just have to do the following:
- The first thing is open kodi and click on the section Add-ons (left part of the screen)
- Let’s go to the section downloads and then to PVR clients.
- At that time we must find PVR IPTV Simple Client and click on this option.
- We click on Install and when it has finished it will indicate it to us. If we later want to add more lists, we won’t have to do this step.
- When it is installed we enter Setting.
- Now let’s set up our list. In Location we choose remote route (Internet address) and in URL we write the address of our IPTV list, and then click on okay
- Must restart kodi for the changes to take effect.
- Once we reopen it, we would only have access to TV and then to Channels. Once they have all loaded, we will be able to see the different channels.
Best Add-ons for Kodi
To give you a better idea of what Add-ons are currently on Kodi, here is a selection of some of the best.
You can install these right away.
Movies and series
Kodi or Plex?
The truth is that this is a rather complicated question, since we are before two direct rivals and that they do not have excessive differences beyond what is the design of each one of them.
They do the same thing, but they do it differently. That is, while Plex focuses a lot on content we have on the computer to send it over WiFi to all compatible devices, Kodi focuses more on what is the material that we have available on the Internetthough the two can perform each other’s tasks as well.
By this we mean that with Plex we could also see the content of the network and that with some Kodi add-on it can also be used to broadcast what we have on one device to the others wirelessly, but these tasks are not the ones usually use in this software.
The Plex interface is more careful and it is much more attractive, although if we already talk about some skins that can be installed on Kodi, then things are even.
Another thing that should be known when facing these two softwares is that Kodi has a Plex Add-onso we could use its virtues, but within its rival.
In the end, the best thing is that, if we have a lot of local content, we must use Plex, but if everything we do is online, then Kodi is our option.
With everything you have just read, it is clear that Kodi is the best option for enjoy a media center on the TV and thus manage everything from the same program.
Too bad it’s not present in more TV operating systems, but at least we have solutions to get it working on our TVas you have just seen.
You can get a lot of use out of Kodi and thus enjoy it on your Smart TV.
We would like to give thanks to the author of this write-up for this remarkable web content
How to install Kodi on a SmartTV