(CNN) — Travis Scott will cover all funeral costs for the eight victims who died in his Festival Astroworld on Friday, according to a statement released Monday by a representative for the rapper.
The Houston-born artist will also partner with BetterHelp to provide free mental health services to all those affected by the tragedy, according to the statement.
“Travis is in active conversations with the city of Houston, law enforcement, and local first responders to respectfully and appropriately connect with the individuals and families of those involved. These are the first of many steps Travis plans to take as part of his personal promise to help those affected throughout their grieving and recovery process, “the statement said.
An avalanche of people at the Astroworld Festival in Houston killed eight people and injured dozens more Friday night.
The crowd of 50,000 was so tight that when lead artist Travis Scott took the stage, concertgoers were crushed and trampled on as waves of people moved toward him.
Houston authorities say the criminal investigation into the deadly surge in crowds could take weeks. Various lawsuits have been filed against Scott, the entertainment company, and others.
Travis Scott had previously been charged in connection with crowd chaos in 2017
Scott is a 30-year-old American rapper, singer, and record producer from Houston, Texas. He is best known for his 2018 album “Astroworld”, after which the festival is named.
On May 14, 2017, the Rogers Police Department in Arkansas posted on Facebook:
“On May 13, 2017, Jaques Webster, also known as Travis Scott, was arrested by the Rogers Police Department after his performance at the Walmart Arkansas Music Pavilion (AMP).
During the concert, Webster encouraged people to get on stage and bypass security protocols to ensure the safety of concert goers. During the race to the stage, several people were injured, including a security company employee hired to help monitor and control the crowd, and a member of the police department.
“The injured subjects were treated at the AMP by members of the Rogers Fire Department and Mercy Medical.”
“Webster was charged with inciting a riot, disorderly conduct and endangering the welfare of a minor.”
“Webster was transferred to the Benton County Sheriff’s Office.”
In 2018, Scott pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and the other charges were dropped, according to the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
CNN has reached out to the attorney who represented Scott in the case for more information.
With information from Chris Boyette
We want to give thanks to the author of this article for this awesome web content
Travis Scott Says He Will Cover Funeral Costs For Astroworld Victims